Friday, June 12, 2009

The Pancake Caper

Things have been a little crazy around here as we prep for our move. I planned a big yard sale with our apartment building, which put me in the kitchen baking cookies while directing the application of price stickers. Our brand new Macbook has a broken M key, and Bria has come down with something that caused her to toss her cookies all over me the other night. And I've been trying to pack-- I mean, I've been trying to motivate myself to pack. I haven't been up for much when it comes to cooking, so I'll admit that I've used our move as an excuse to eat out rather often this week. In doing so, I fell in love with a pizza-- more to come on that later.

One of my fall-back easy dinners is pancakes and scrambled eggs. I've been following this recipe lately-- light, fluffy, and flavorful pancakes. I'll often use a little wheat flour too. Served with some fresh strawberries and homemade syrup*-- mmm . . . delicieux!














But the other night, after I made several, and Sam and I gorged ourselves on a few too many, I poured the last of the batter onto the griddle pan. As the batter started to keep its bubbles without filling in, I flipped the last two cakes and walked away. Two hours or so later, Sam and I were watching a few episodes of The Office, and we turned on the fan. I started to smell something like burnt toast. Hmmm . . . maybe the neighbors torched their dinner. I mentioned it to Sam, and we looked over to the stove. Those last two pancakes were still sitting on the hot griddle. The tops still looked golden and delicious, but when we flipped them to their still-cooking other sides-- well, let's just say we needed to go by their dental records to identify them. Poor guys.


(Half way through the flipping process-- starting to assess the damage)
















*Homemade syrup:
1 c white sugar
1 c water
1-2 T honey
1 T brown sugar

Bring white sugar and water to a boil. Simmer for a couple minutes to form this simple syrup. Stir in honey and brown sugar to full incorporate. Pour over delicious pancakes, french toast, or waffles. yummmm . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment