Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chicken and Rice (the delicious way)

My family grew up on chicken and rice dishes. Before you start to envision minute rice with cream of chicken soup poured over the top, let me show you a picture.















One common dish from the McPhie house is lemon chicken. My mom is a big fan of lemon curd and would use it as a sauce for baked chicken over Japanese rice (the only rice allowed at Chez McPhie-- more on that later). Several years ago, my culinarily-intuitive sister Amy showed me her updated version of lemon chicken. It has become a staple in my home now. When I make my weekly meal plan every Monday, lemon chicken graces the list more often than not. It's one of Sam's (and my) favorite dishes. In fact, I made it last night (as pictured above) for the weekly Monday dinner we enjoy with Matt and Elisa.
The citrus gives it a light and fresh flavor, and paired with broccoli and brown rice, it can be quite healthy (depending on how much oil you use). Lemon curd can be hard to find at some grocery stores-- I often (but not always) find it next to the jam or in the baking aisle. And now, the specifics:

6-8 chicken tenderloins, raw, cut into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 T salt
1/2 T pepper
Oil
1 jar lemon curd
1/2 c chicken broth
1-2 lemons

Place flour, salt, and pepper in a large ziploc bag. Shake to mix well. Add chicken pieces and shake until chicken is fully coated. Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook chicken thoroughly, until it is no longer pink on the inside and the outside is nice and golden. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat lemon curd and chicken broth. Use a whisk to fully mix the two. Once hot, stir in juice from lemons. Taste the sauce and add more lemon juice according to how sour you want the sauce. Serve chicken over brown rice with sauce poured on top. Goes incredibly well with broccoli. To increase the health factor, eliminate breading the chicken, season with lemon pepper, and just use a non-stick spray on your pan.

1 comment:

  1. First of all - I thought I was your culinary intuitive sister! (Psych!)

    Second - I've never tried this twist on lemon chicken. I will be trying it this week.

    Thanks for this new blog. I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete