Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Denver Chocolate Pudding Cake

I've been meaning to post about this forever, and I finally remembered to bring the cookbook from downstairs to my room upstairs so I could share. Denver Chocolate Pudding Cake. When I initially made this, I was searching through cookbooks for the perfect chocolatey dessert. The picture looked divine, so decided it was a go. As I made it, I kept reading and rereading the instructions to make sure I had it right: "dump a layer of sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa right on top?" and "pour boiling water over the whole thing?!" It seemed so odd, and I was sure it would turn out horribly. But no. Quite the opposite in fact. Somewhere between cake and a brownie, this deliciousness is marbled with chocolate pudding-like sauce. Served with ice cream, it is fantastique. When I made it last time, I only remembered to take this picture right before the last bite.

And when I made it again on Sunday, the same thing happened, so that picture is all you get. Sorry. But do try it. It's very fun to make. And it's also very fun for babies to lick the beaters and the rubber spatula and cover themselves in chocolate right before bed. It was like this all over again.

Denver Chocolate Pudding Cake
from Williams-Sonoma's Chocolate cookbook

2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 c granulated sugar
1 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c milk
2 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
3 T cocoa
1 1/2 c boiling water

Melt chocolate in a glass bowl set over simmering water in a pot (don't let the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
Combine butter and half the granulated sugar in a bowl. Mix on high until light and fluffy.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and pour onto the butter mixture. Then add the milk. Mix on low speed until well mixed.
Using a rubber spatula, fold in the melted chocolate and 1 t vanilla until fully incorporated.
Pour batter into a buttered 9" square pan.
Stir together the remaining granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa. Sprinkle batter over batter in the pan (I sift it onto the batter so i don't get any clumps of brown sugar).
Add the remaining 1 t vanilla to 1 1/2 c boiling water, then pour gently over the batter. Be careful not to disturb the batter too much; pour slowly.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until the top is firm, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly. Serve, and make sure to spoon the saucy goodness over the top with some vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, I love reading about your culinary experiments and delicasies. We call this delicious dessert above, "Lava Cake"- and yes, we eat it all- the boys can't get enough of it, even Gavin who doesn't like chocolate very often (I know, where did he come from?). YUM YUM! Thanks for indulging me.

    ReplyDelete