Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Once Upon A Time I Was A Book Worm

Remember last year when I posted about the books I read as a 25 year-old? I had the same goal last year-- to read as many books as I was old-- and I fell quite short, again. But, hey! I actually read one more book than the year before.

In chronologically read order:
1. Bossypants, by Tina Fey
2. Tortilla Flat, by John Steinbeck
3. Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen
4. Immortal Milk: Adventures in Cheese, by Eric LeMay
5. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
6. Her Fearful Symmetry, by Audrey Niffenegger
7. Julie & Julia, by Julie Powell
8. How to Be Good, by Nick Hornby
9. The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone
10. Persepolis 2, by Marjane Satrapi
11. The Tiger's Wife, by Tea Obreht
12. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, by Mindy Kaling
13. Brick Lane, by Monica Ali
14. High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby

My least favorite book was probably Water for Elephants or Her Fearful Symmetry. My favorite book was definitely The Poisonwood Bible. I remember my roommate Audrey recommending it back when we lived together-- that's how long it's been on my to-read list. At first it seemed daunting, and I wondered if I could get into it, but I once I settled in, I was so, completely absorbed. There were a couple chapters that I sat sobbing on the couch while I read. Some of the themes and messages were so poignant and perfectly articulated, addressing questions and doubts and fears that are very real to me. I am actually glad I waited this long to read it, because I don't think it would have meant as much to me had I read it when I was 19.
I already have a stack of books to read-- some gifted, some borrowed, some from the library-- yet I still always love recommendations. I'm starting on only my second book this year (Everyday Zen), which means I need to get a move on. So, yes, I will again set the goal. While I am 27, I aim to read 27 books. Sam is going back to working nights soon, so I think the goal could even be attainable this year!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I just might have to finally read the poisonwood bible this summer. I'll let you know if I read anything really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list of books,I'm always on the look for a good read. Have you read anything by John Hart? I really like his books.

    ReplyDelete